Axiomtek’s “CAPA881” SBC runs Linux on Intel’s 4th Gen Core chips, supports extended temperatures, and has powered COM ports, plus SATA, CFast, and mini-PCIe.
Like Axiomtek’s CEM880 and CEM881 COM Express Type 6 modules, the CAPA881 SBC uses 4th Generation Intel Core (Haswell) processors. Like its AMD G-Series based CAPA112 SBC, the 146 x 104mm CAPA881 adopts the 3.5-inch form-factor. Applications are said to include gaming, DVR, IoT/M2M, network computing, and digital signage. No OS support was listed, but the company generally supports Linux on all of its x86-based SBCs and COMs.
(click image to enlarge)
The CAPA881 board ships with an Intel HM86 chipset (QM87 optional), and gives you a choice of a quad-core Intel Core i7-4700EQ, dual-core i5-4402E, or dual-core i3-4110E processors. You can load up to 8GB DDR3L
CAPA881 top (left) and bottom views
(click images to enlarge)
RAM, and store data using CFast and SATA-600 slots. A mini-PCIe slot with mSATA is also provided.
The SBC ships with dual HDMI ports, as well as VGA and LVDS interfaces. A DisplayPort is said to be optional, along with triple display support. Dual gigabit Ethernet ports provide Wake-on-LAN and RPL/PXE boot functionality.
CAPA881 port detail
One of the two, powered RS-232/422/485 interfaces is available on a coastline port, although the DisplayPort option appears to take up the same spot, so you may lose it in that case. In any case, two more RS-232 interfaces are onboard. You get two USB 3.0 coastline ports and four more USB 2.0 interfaces internally, along with DIO, SMBus, and audio I/O.
More CAPA881 details, top (left) and bottom
(click images to enlarge)
The CAPA881 supports extended temperatures ranging from -20 to 70°C, and runs on 12V DC input. Options include Intel Active Management Technology (iAMT) 9.0, which can “enable service providers to manage and repair the system easily,” says Axiomtek.
Specifications for the CAPA881 include:
- Processor — Intel 4th Gen Core processors (22nm “Haswell”) with Intel HM86 or QM87 (optional) chipsets, Intel Gen 7.5 graphics, and Intel Turbo Boost and Hyper-Threading Technologies:
- Core i7-4700EQ — quad-core 2.4GHz, 6MB cache, 47W TDP, Intel HD Graphics 4600 @ 400MHz; on CAPA881 max. RMS is +12V @ 3.9A
- Core i5-4402E — dual-core 1.6GHz, 3MB cache, 25 W, Intel HD Graphics 4600 @ 400MHz; max. RMS is +12V @ 2.7A
- Core i3-4110E — dual-core 2.6GHz, 3MB cache, 37 W, Intel HD Graphics 4600 @ 400MHz; max. RMS is +12V @ 2.9A
- Memory — Up to 8GB DDR3L-1600 via 1x SODIMM
- Storage — CFast slot; SATA-600 interface
- 2x HDMI ports
- VGA interface
- LVDS 18/24-bit single/dual interface
- Optional DisplayPort
- Optional triple display support
- Networking — 2x gigabit Ethernet (Intel I210-AT and I217-LM) with Wake-on-LAN, RPL/PXE boot
- Other I/O:
- 2 x RS-232/422/485 (COM 1 and 2, +5V/+12V powered), 1x on coastline port
- 2x RS-232 interfaces
- 2x USB 3.0 ports
- 4x USB 2.0 interfaces
- SMBus interface
- DIO (4x in, 4x out)
- HD audio mic-in, line-in, line-out interface(Realtek ALC662)
- Expansion — Mini-PCIe with mSATA
- Other features — watchdog; hardware monitoring; optional iAMT 9.0
- 2 x 2-pin connector
- +12V DC-in only
- AT auto power on function supported
- Lithium 3V/220mAH battery
- Operating temperature — -20 to 70°C
- Dimensions — 146 x 104 x 1.6mm; 3.5-inch form factor
Axiomtek’s CAPA881 will available in the beginning of March. More information may be found in Axiomtek’s CAPA881 product page.