[Updated Apr. 7] — Two Technologies Inc.’s LTE-ready “N5Print” handheld runs Android on a Snapdragon 800 and has built-in printer, Smart Card, magstripe, and barcode features.
Early smartphones were modeled in part on field-service handhelds, which in turn have increasingly imitated smartphones. This has been especially true in recent years as the product category has migrated from Windows Mobile and CE (and to a lesser extent plain Linux) to Android. In the past, handhelds, which are often available in commercial, as well as similar, but more robust military models, have trailed the current smartphone technology by several years. Yet, we’re seeing and more Android handhelds that rival high end smartphones, such as Arbor’s quad-core, 5.5-inch Gladius 5.
(click images to enlarge)
Two Technologies appears to have raised the ante, at least on specs, with the N5Print. The 5.7-inch, 1920 x 1080-pixel handheld runs Android 4.4 on a quad-core, Cortex-A15-like Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 SoC with Adreno 320 graphics and 3GB of RAM.
The 26.7-ounce, 10.8 x 4.73 x 2.65-inch N5Print stands out from typical Android handhelds with its built-in 3-inch thermal printer for printing receipts. The device is designed for applications including field services, public safety, transportation and logistics, medical, automotive, aviation and aeronautics, industrial, food services, military and government, security, point of sale, utilities, distribution, and environmental services, says Two Technologies.
N5Print, showing off Smart Card capabilities
(click image to enlarge)
In addition to the 3GB of RAM, the device ships with 16GB of flash and a microSD slot. The 5.7-inch, HD Super AMOLED touchscreen features 3,997:1 contrast and IP65 water and dust protection. The N5Print offers 3G and 4G voice and data, as well as 802.11ac WiFi, Bluetooth 4.0, GPS, and optional NFC with RFID support. USB 2.0 host and micro-USB ports are also supplied.
Imaging features include 13- and 2-megapixel cameras, with the former providing [email protected] or [email protected] video recording on the N9005 or N9002 models, or 1080p on the N9000. (Two Technologies did not reveal any other differentiators between the models.) Other imaging technology includes a 3-channel magnetic stripe reader, an EMV compliant Smart Card reader, and a dedicated 1D or 2D barcode scanner.
N5Print’s 13-megapixel camera supports 4128 x 3096-pixel stills
(click image to enlarge)
The device includes a speaker, LEDs, and user buttons, including an alert button that can be programmed to send a SMS text message, even while running an unrelated application. A speaker and hand-strap are also available.
The rugged NX5Print offers shock and vibration protection, and supports -20 to 50°C temperatures. A hot-swappable battery is available along with a backup battery and a charging cradle with desktop or vehicle mounting.
Specifications listed for the N5Print include:
- Processor — Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 (4x Cortex-A15 like Krait 400 cores @ 2.3GHz); Adreno 330 GPU; 600MHz Hexagon v5 QDSP6 DSP
- 3GB RAM
- 16GB flash
- MicroSD slot with 64GB data card; supports up to 128GB
- Display — 5.7-inch, 1920 x 1080, multi-touch capacitive Super AMOLED; 3,997:1 contrast (sunlight)
- 802.11a/b/g/n/ac with WiFi Direct, DLNA, hotspot support
- Bluetooth 4.0 with BLE, A2DP, and EDR
- Micro-SIM slot
- HSDPA (3G) and LTE (4G)voice; GPRS, EDGE, and LTE data
- Optional NFC with HF RFID @ 13.56MHz
- GPS with aGPS and GLONASS
- 13-megapixel rear-facing (4128 x 3096) with autofocus, LED flash, dual shot, simultaneous HD video and image recording, geo-tagging, touch focus, face/smile detection, panorama, HDR; [email protected] or [email protected] video recording on N9005 or N9002, 1080p on N9000
- 2-megapixel front-facing ([email protected])
- 1D or 2D barcode reader with ZXING barcode software
- EMV-compliant Smart Card reader for Class A, B, C, or AB cards
- Mag-stripe reader (3-channel, bidirectional) with DES, Triple DES, AES security, and DUKPT key manager
- Other I/O — USB 2.0 host port; micro-USB 2.0 port
- Other hardware features — 3-inch thermal printer; speaker; hand-strap; user buttons including Alert emergency button; LEDs; customizable logo, custom keys, and case color
- Other software features — support for multiple messaging, email, and browser protocols; Java MIDP emulator
- -20 to 50°C operating temperature
- MIL-STD-810G Method 516.6 & 514.6 shock and vibration resistance
- IP65 rain and dust resistance
- Hot-swappable 3200mAh Li-ion battery
- 5000mAh supplemental battery
- Charging cradle with desktop or vehicle mounting
- Weight — 26.7 oz with full paper roll (24.3 oz without)
- Dimensions — 10.8 x 4.73 x 2.65 in.
- Operating system — Android 4.4.4
The N5Print appears to be available now at an undisclosed price. More information may be found at the N5Print product page.