Aaeon’s rugged, Linux-ready “Boxer-6404” industrial controller offers quad- or dual-core Bay Trail SoCs, plus four GbE ports and -20 to 60°C operation.
The Boxer-6404 shares some of the specs of Aaeon’s Boxer-6403 industrial PC, but is for the most part a more entry-level system. Yet this more purely industrial-focused system offers twice the number of Gigabit Ethernet ports, as well as a higher level of ruggedization. The system supports Linux, as well as various flavors of Windows.
Like the Boxer-6403, the Boxer-6404 is available with the quad-core Celeron J1900 or the dual-core Celeron N2807, both member of Intel’s Bay Trail family of system-on chips. Missing, however, are the previously supported Celeron N2930 and Atom E3825. Once again you can load up to 4GB or 8GB DDR3L RAM, depending on whether you choose the dual- or quad-core option.
The biggest difference compared to the Boxer-6403 is instead of offering two Gigabit Ethernet ports, the Boxer-6404 offers four. In addition, instead of mSATA, there’s a CFast slot, and instead of HDMI and LVDS interfaces, there are one or two HDMI ports with audio support.
Boxer-6404 detail views
(click images to enlarge)
Like the earlier model, the Boxer-6404 provides a USB 3.0 port, but there are only two USB 2.0 ports instead of three. In place of the previous pair of RS232/422/485 ports, there is a single RS232 port. There are no DIO or LPC interfaces, and in place of tghe dual mini-PCIe slots with mSATA and SIM card support, there’s only a single slot with USB support and optional wireless modules.
While the Celeron J1900 model is still limited to -20 to 55°C operation, the N2807 version supports -20 to 60°C instead of the earlier -20 to 40°C. Vibration and shock resistance have also been amped up.
Specifications listed for the Boxer-6404 include:
- Processor — Intel Celeron or Atom (Bay Trail) with Intel HD Graphics:
- Celeron J1900 (4x cores @ 2.42GHz), 10W TDP
- Celeron N2807 (2x cores @ 1.58GHz, 5W TDP
- Memory — up to 4GB (with N2807) or 8GB (J1900) DDR3L 1333MHz via 1x SODIMM
- Storage — CFast slot
- Display — 1x or 2x HDMI ports
- Networking — 4x gigabit Ethernet ports
- Other I/O:
- 2x USB 2.0 ports
- USB 3.0 port
- RS232 port
- Expansion — Mini-PCIe slot with USB support and optional wireless modules
- Other features — VESA wall and DIN-rail mounting; power button
- Power — 12V DC input with lockable jack; ATX mode
- Operating temperature — -20 to 55°C (J1900) or -20 to 60°C (N2807), both with 0.5 m/s airflow
- Vibration resistance — 5Grms, 5-500Hz
- Shock resistance — 50G (11ms)
- Dimensions — 166 x 107 x 30mm
- Operating system – Linux; Windows 7/8/8.1
The Boxer-6404 appears to be available now, at an unstated price. More information may be found at the Boxer-6404 product page.