Adlink’s “Matrix MXE-100i” gateway runs Wind River’s Linux-based IDP XT IoT gateway stack on an Intel Quark processor, and offers multiple wireless options.
The Matrix MXE-100i is a spinoff of the Matrix MXE-200i gateway computer announced by Adlink in February. Like the MXE-200i, the identically sized, 120 x 100 x 55mm MXE-100i comes preloaded with a Linux-based Internet of Things gateway software stack from Intel subsidiary Wind River, called Wind River Intelligent Device Platform XT.
The main difference is that instead of an Intel Atom, the MXE-100i offers a slower, but presumably more power efficient, 400MHz Intel Quark X1020 processor. (More background on the Quark X1020 can be found in this report on Kontron’s Quark-based SMARC-sXQU module.)
Two views of the Matrix MXE-100i
(click images to enlarge)
The move to the Quark limits the feature set somewhat. You get 1GB of DDR3 instead of 2GB, and there’s no mSATA support, although you once again get an SD slot. The Matrix MXE-100i lacks an HDMI port or other display connection, so to see what your gateway sees, you’ll likely be using Adlink’s cloud-based, SEMA remote monitoring software.
MXE-100i rear view
(click image to enlarge)
As before, there are dual Ethernet ports, but they’re 10/100 instead of GbE. The uSIM slot remains for optional WiFi, Bluetooth, or 3G modules and antennas.
Detail views of front and side panels
(click image to enlarge)
There are once again three USB ports, but they’re all 2.0, and the system is similarly equipped with RS232 and RS232/422/485 ports. Dual mini-PCIe slots are available, but there’s no mention of the previously optional DIO interface.
Like the Atom version, the Matrix MXE-100i provides a wide-range 6-36 V DC power supply, and offers commercial and extended -20 to 70°C versions. Shock and vibration resistance are also identical.
Specifications listed for the Matrix MXE-100i include:
- Processor — Intel Quark X1021 (1x 32-bit Pentium ISA-compatible core @ 400MHz); Intel AES-NI and Secure Boot technologies
- Memory — 1GB DDR3-800 RAM; SD slot for up to 16GB
- Wireless — uSIM slot; optional WiFi, Bluetooth, and 3G wireless modules and optional antennas
- Networking — 2x 10/100 Ethernet ports
- Other I/O:
- 3x USB 2.0 ports
- RS232 port
- RS232/422/485 port
- Expansion — 2x mini-PCIe sockets
- Other features — Watchdog; 3x user-defined LEDs; supports SEMA remote management; optional DIN-rail and wall mounting; optional TPM
- Power — 6-36 V DC; optional 80W AC-DC adapter
- Operating temperature — 0 to 50°C (standard) or -20 to 70°C (extended, requires industrial grade SD)
- Vibration resistance — 5Grms, 5-500Hz, 3 axes w/ SD
- Shock resistance — 100G, half-sine 11ms w/ SD
- Weight — 650 g
- Dimensions — 120 x 100 x 55mm
- Operating system — Wind River IDP XT 2.0 (Linux) preloaded with McAfee Embedded Control
No pricing or availability information was provided for the Matrix MXE-100i. More information may be found on the MXE-100i product page.