Perfectron’s “INS8349A” Mini-ITX runs on 6th Gen “Skylake-S” CPUs, and offers triple displays, 8x USB, 4x SATA, optional M.2, and PCIe and mini-PCIe.
With its 14nm-fabricated 6th Generation Core based INS8349A Mini-ITX board, Perfectron has leapfrogged several generations of Intel Core chips since its previous 3rd Gen “Ivy Bridge” INS8346B. The upgrade over Ivy Bridge gives you a 35 percent faster CPU and up to 49 percent faster GPU, says the company.
INS8349A, front and back
(click images to enlarge)
This “powerful industrial Mini-ITX motherboard” uses Intel’s power-guzzling S-series Skylake Core i7/i5/i3 varieties, installed in an LGA1151 socket. Perfectron calls out the quad-core 3.4/4.0GHz Core i7-6700 (65W TDP) and quad-core, 2.4/3.4GHz Core i7-6700TE (35W) for special mention. No operating system support was specified for this presumably Linux- and Windows-friendly motherboard.
The 170 x 170mm INS8349A supports up to 16GB of DDR4-2133MHz RAM via dual SODIMM sockets. You get [email protected] video, support for HECV, VP8, and VP94, plus three independent displays via HDMI 1.4b, 2x DP++, and 24-bit LVDS.
INS8349A (left) and block diagram
(click images to enlarge)
Perfectron gives you a choice of Intel Q170 or H110 I/O chipsets, delivered as separate INS8349A and INS8349A1 SKUs, respectively. According to the company’s announcement, the choice of SKU makes a big difference in I/O, with the INS8349A supporting up to 6x SATA, up to 14x USB, and up to 20 PCIe interfaces, compared to the INS8349A1’s 4x SATA, 10x USB, and 6x PCIe.
The product page and datasheet, however, list a more limited feature set, with the only difference being that the INS8349A gives you an M.2 slot that is unavailable on the A1 model of this board. We imagine the PR writer mixed up the potential maximums of the Skylake-S chipset with the reality of the board itself. Accordingly, we’ve stuck with the datasheet specs below, which list 4x SATA III, 8x USB (4x 3.0) and single PCIe x16, Mini-PCIe, and SIM slots, among other I/O.
INS8349A coastline ports
(click image to enlarge)
Specifications listed for the INS8349A include:
- 6th Generation Intel Core i7/i5/i3 Skylake S-series (35W to 65W TDP)
- Intel HD Graphics 500 series (depends on processor)
- LGA1151 package (socketed)
- Intel Q170 (INS8349A) or H110 (INS8349A1) chipset
- Memory — Up to 16GB DDR4 2133MHz RAM via 2x SODIMMs
- Storage — 4x SATA 3; M.2 B+M slot (INS8349A only) for storage or wireless
- Wireless — Optional M.2 WIFI/3G module (INS8349A only); SIM card slot
- HDMI 1.4b port up to 4096 x 2304 @ 24Hz
- 2x DisplayPort++ up to 4096 x 2304 @ 60Hz
- 24-bit dual-channel LVDS interface up to 1920 x 1200 @ 60Hz
- Wireless — SIM slot
- Network — 2x Gigabit Ethernet ports
- Other I/O:
- 4x USB 3.0 ports
- 4x USB 2.0 interfaces
- 5x RS232 (2x port, 3x internal)
- RS232/422/485 port
- HD audio (Realtek ALC886) line-out, mic-in
- 8-bit GPIO, LPC
- Expansion — PCIe x16; mini-PCIe (full size)
- Other features — Watchdog
- Power — 12V DC
- Operating temperature — 0 to 60°C
- Dimensions — 170 x 170mm; Mini-ITX form-factor
No pricing or availability information was provided for the INS8349A Mini-ITX board. More information may be found on Perfectron’s INS8349A product page.