The Acnodes “FES8670” is a rugged industrial box-PC that runs Linux on a 4th Gen Core CPU, and offers four GbE ports and numerous storage and display ports.
So far, we’ve still only seen one company (Congatec) announce products based on Intel’s new 5th Generation Core (“Broadwell”) processors, although we expect many more to break cover at Embedded World next month. Yet, there’s still plenty of juice left in the 4th Gen Haswell Core chips, which drive Acnodes’s powerhouse FES8670. Earlier Acnodes industrial PCs have included the Atom D2550-based FES2215.
The FES8670 is designed primarily for video applications, digital signage, outdoor advertising, POS/kiosks, and gaming. The fanless computer supports operating temperatures of -40°C to 55°C., and features a rugged, IP40-rated chassis made of aluminum and heavy-duty steel that’s designed to withstand vibrations. The computer also offers a wide-range 9 to 36V power input.
FES8670 front (left) and rear views
(click images to enlarge)
The FES8670 supports Intel’s Q87 chipset and appears to support any 4th Gen Core processor. You can load up to 16GB of DDR3 RAM and store data via CFast and mSATA connections, as well as a 2.5-inch SATA HDD bay.
FES8670 front (left) and rear details
(click images to enlarge)
Acnodes has also gone overboard on display interfaces, offering dual HDMI ports, as well as a DisplayPort and a VGA port. The company is similarly generous with networking, giving you four gigabit Ethernet ports. Extra helpings are also offered for other interfaces, including six RS/232/422/485 ports, six USB 3.0 ports, two mini-PCIe slots, and a SIM slot for a cellular radio. Audio I/O and a bank of 32-channel DIDO round out the I/O.
Specifications listed for the FES8670 include:
- Processor — Intel 4th Gen Core (“Haswell”) with Intel QM87 chipset and Intel HD Graphics
- Memory — up to 16GB DDR3 1333/1600MHz via 2x SODIMMs
- SATA with 2.5-inch bay with optional HDDs
- CFast slot
- mSATA interface
- VGA port
- 2x HDMI out ports
- Wireless — SIM slot; 2x SMA type antenna connectors
- Networking — 4x gigabit Ethernet ports with support for Jumbo Frame (9.5k), WoL, PXE Remote Boot, and Teaming
- Other I/O:
- 6x USB 3.0 ports
- 6x RS232/422/485 ports
- 32-channel programmable DIDO
- Audio mic-in, line-out
- Expansion — 2x mini-PCIe socket (full size)
- Other features — watchdog; LEDs; optional wall mounting
- Power — 9-36 DC input; ATX power switch with status indicator
- Operating temperature — -40 to 55°C
- Vibration resistance — 3Grms, 5-500Hz, 3-axis
- EN60950 and IP40 compliance
- Dimensions — 27.8 x 19.0 x 7.0cm
- Operating system — Linux; WES 7/8
No pricing or availability information was provided for the FES8670. More information may be found on the Acnodes FES8670 product page.