Intel announced a fanless mini-tower “NUC” mini-PC for thin clients, equipped with a 5-Watt Atom E3815 SoC and a new custom expansion interface.
The Linux-compatible Intel NUC Kit DE3815TYKHE is Intel’s first fanless member of its NUC (Next Unit of Computing) family of mini-PCs. The computer is also available as a single board computer (SBC) called the NUC Board DE3815TYBE.
Like the recent NUC Kit DN2820FYKH, the DE3815TYKHE model runs on a 22nm-fabricated Bay Trail processor, but it’s an Atom E3815 instead of the earlier Celeron N2820. The E3815 is the power-stingiest of all the Bay-Trail-I processors, with a 5W TDP. It’s also the slowest, with a lone “Silvermont” architecture core clocked at 1.46GHz.
Intel DE3815TYKHE NUC Kit (left) and DE3815TYBE NUC board
(click image to enlarge)
In addition to going fanless, the NUC Kit DE3815TYKHE is the first NUC to offer onboard flash storage (4GB eMMC) and the first to offer easy flat-panel connectivity via its Embedded DisplayPort (eDP) interface, says Intel. The computer is said to be the first NUC to include a VGA port, a watchdog timer, as well as serial port headers “for peripherals requiring the robustness of hardware handshaking,” says the chipmaker.
The new NUC also includes a new “Custom Solutions” connector offering I2C, PWM, GPIO, and other interfaces. The connector is designed “for interfacing with sensors and other embedded devices enabling the Internet of Things,” says Intel.
Unlike the squarish NUC Kit DN2820FYKH, the new NUC assumes a thin client like mini-tower form factor. Despite the lack of a fan, it’s considerably larger than the Celeron-based model, measuring 7.48 x 4.56 x 1.57 inches.
The device is designed as a thin client for schools, call centers, “and other locations with a large installed base of VGA monitors,” says Intel. It is also said to support light digital signage, point-of-sale, and kiosk solutions.
NUC Kit DE3815TYKHE port detail
(click image to enlarge)
Like the Celeron-based NUC, you can load up to 8GB of DDR3L RAM on the system, which ships with 4GB of flash and a 2.5-inch SATA bay. Real-world ports include HDMI, VGA, and gigabit Ethernet ports, as well as an audio jack. There are also three USB ports, one of them a front-facing USB 3.0 port. Three more USB 2.0 interfaces are available internally along with the other expansion interfaces noted above.
A mini-PCI-Express slot is designed to support a wireless module, and the system offers built-in antennas. Other features of note include TPM support, an IR sensor, VESA mounting, and three-year availability.
Specifications listed for the Intel NUC Kit DE3815TYKHE, most of which apply to the NUC Board DE3815TYBE SBC version as well, include:
- Processor — Intel Atom E3815 (1x “Bay-Trail-I” core @ 1.46GHz); 512KB cache 5W TDP, Intel HD Graphics (400MHz)
- Memory — up to 8GB DDR3L 1333/1600MHz (down-clocked to 1066MHz) via 1x SODIMM
- Storage – 4GB eMMC flash; 2.5-inch HDD or SDD bay (for up to 9.5mm thick drives)
- HDMI 1.4 port
- Embedded DisplayPort 1.3 connector
- VGA port
- Wireless/expansion — Mini-PCIe slot (half-length) and built-in antennas for wireless module
- Networking — gigabit Ethernet port
- Other I/O:
- USB 3.0 (front-facing)
- 2x USB 2.0
- 3x internal USB 2.0 (2×5 + 1×5 headers)
- Audio headphone and mic jack (Intel HD Audio)
- 2x serial port headers (TXD/RXD/RTS/CTS, w/5V transceivers)
- “Custom Solutions” header — DMIC; AppLaunch GPIO; HDMI_CEC; SMBus; I2C [0:1]; PWM[0:1] w/5V buffers; 1.8/3.3/5 Vstby power
- 12-24V DC internal power header
- Other features — IR sensor; VESA mounting; supports Kensington lock; TPM 1.2; Intel VT-x support; watchdog timer; vertical stand; 3-year availability
- Operating temperature — 0 to 50°C
- Power — 12V, 36W wall-mount AC-DC adapter with 12-19V DC back panel power connector
- Dimensions — 190 x 116 x 40mm (7.5 x 4.6 x 1.6 inches)
- Operating system – Linux; Microsoft WES8 and WES7
Intel NUC DE3815TYKHE mini-PC kit and NUC DE3815TYBE board will ship April 28 at “recommended” prices of $129 for the kit and $99 for the SBC. More information may be found in the NUC Kit DE3815TYKHE announcement, NUC Board DE3815TYBE announcement, and related data sheet [PDF].