Kontron’s first AMD SoC-based COM Express module is a Type 6 Compact design, with a 2GHz quad-core “Steppe Eagle” G-Series SoC, plus up to 64GB eMMC flash.
Kontron offers many different computer-on-modules using processors from a variety of vendors, but when it comes to x86 system-on-chips (SoCs), the company has remained an Intel house. Now, Kontron has launched its first AMD G-Series SoC-based COM with the COMe-cSE6, which uses the COM Express Type 6 Compact (95 x 95mm) form factor. The company is diving into AMD G-Series SoCs with style, as three of the five supported G-Series SoCs used on this new COM have yet to be announced by AMD.
COMe-cSE6 front (left) and rear views
(click images to enlarge)
AMD’s quad-core, 2GHz GX-424CC and dual-core, 1.2GHz GX-212JC “Steppe Eagle” G-Series SoCs both debuted this summer, but the other three Steppe Eagle options appear to be new. The quad-core GX-414HC runs to just 1.2GHz, and has a low 7W TDP compared to the 25W GX-424CC. The dual-core GX-222GC and GX-208JC run to 2.2GHz (15W) and 800MHz (6W), respectively.
The Linux-ready COMe-cSE6 is designed for low-power, yet performance-intensive, multi-touch display systems, says Kontron. Examples are said to include digital signage, point-of-sale, and surveillance and security systems, as well as HMIs in automation or medical image processing. The module is also suitable for industrial tablet PCs in logistics, retail, or production, says the company. Other Type 6 Compact modules with G-Series Steppe Eagle SoCs include Hectronic’s H6066.
The COMe-cSE6 supports up to 16GB of DDR3L, and offers optional onboard eMMC flash at up to 32GB (SLC) or up to 64GB (MLC). Two SATA interfaces are also available.
COMe-cSE6 block diagram
(click image to enlarge)
Three independent display ports can be active at once, including two DP++ (DisplayPort, HDMI, DVI) interfaces, and either a third DP++ or a dual-channel 18/24-bit LVDS interface. A VGA port is also available.
The COMe-cSE6 provides a gigabit Ethernet port, and I/O signals including two USB 3.0, six USB 2.0, two serial, and HD audio. Additional I/O includes Fast I2C, SPI, LPC, and SMB. Three PCIe x1 interfaces are available along with four more via a PEG interface.
The COMe-cSE6 features a wide 4.75V to 20V power range. The module has a 0 to 60°C temperature range except for the COMe-cSEi6 model with the 800MHz GX-208JC SoC, which features industrial -40 to 85°C support.
Summary of COMe-cSE6 specs
Specifications listed for the COMe-cSE6 include:
- Processor — AMD Embedded G-Series (“Steppe Eagle”) options, with AMD Radeon HD 8000 graphics:
- GX-424CC (4x x86 cores @ 2GHz) with 25W TDP
- GX-414HC (4x x86 cores @ 1.2GHz) with 7W TDP
- GX-222GC (2x x86 cores @ 2.2GHz) with 15W TDP
- GX-212JC (2x x86 cores @ 1.2GHz) with 6W TDP
- GX-208JC (on COMe-cSEi6 model) — (2x x86 cores @ 800MHz) with 6W TDP
- up to 16GB DDR3L-1333/1600 RAM via 2x SODIMMs
- 2 to 64GB eMMC flash
- 2x SATA 6Gbps
- Dual-channel 18/24-bit LVDS
- 2x DDI/DP++ (DisplayPort, HDMI, DVI) with 1x multiplexed with LVDS
- Networking — gigabit Ethernet controller (Intel I210IT)
- Other I/O:
- 2x USB 3.0
- 8x USB 2.0
- 2x serial (RX/TX only)
- Fast I2C, SPI, LPC, SMB
- HD audio codec
- Expansion — 3x PCIe x1; 4x PCIe on PEG; optional additional PCIe x1 in place of GbE
- Other features – Watchdog; RTC; “MARS”; 10-year support
- Power — 4.75V to 20V; ACPI, S5 Eco
- Operating temperature — 0 to 60°C except COMe-cSEi6 model with GX-208JC which supports -40 to 85°C
- Dimensions — 95 x 95mm (COM Express Compact Type 6)
- Operating system — Linux, Windows Embedded 8, WES7, Windows 7
Samples of the COMe-cSE6 will be available at the end of December. More information may be found at the COMe-cSE6 product page.