Gateworks unveiled a compact “Ventana GW5520” SBC with Linux and Android BSPs, HDMI, dual PoE-ready GbE, dual mini-PCIe, and industrial temperature range.
The GW5520 is a member of Gateworks’s 5th generation Ventana family of network processor boards. Like the six Ventana models we covered back in 2013, the GW5520 integrates a Freescale i.MX6 system-on-chip, in this case a Dual with two 800MHz Cortex-A9 cores, or an optional Quad model. As before, open source BSPs are provided for OpenWRT and OpenEmbedded/Yocto Linux, as well as Android. 3D models and extensive documentation are available for all the Ventana boards, as well.
(click image to enlarge)
The GW5520 has a simpler feature set than most of the earlier Ventana models we covered, and is presumably priced to match. The 100 x 70 x 13mm single board computer provides 512MB of DDR3-800 RAM and 256MB of flash. Two mini-PCIe expansion sockets support any combination of WiFi, 4G WiMAX, and 3G CDMA/GSM radios, as well as other peripherals.
You get two gigabit Ethernet ports, which support Power-over-Ethernet operation, as well as HDMI out, and dual USB 2.0 host ports. Other onboard features include three serial interfaces, a CANBus port, and GPIO.
GW5520 block diagram
(click image to enlarge)
Much of the focus here is on power-related features, including a wide-range 8 to 60VDC supply, which provides up to 16W to the mini-PCIe sockets. There’s also reverse voltage and transient protection and power management features that support remote shut-down and wake-up of sensor peripherals. The board features low, typically 3W, power consumption, enabling the PoE option.
The GW5520 is also notable for providing -40 to 85°C temperature support. Customization features, including expanding to up to 2GB of RAM for volume orders, are also available.
Specifications listed for the Ventana GW5520 SBC include:
- Processor — Freescale i.MX6 Dual (2x Cortex-A9 cores @ 800MHz); Optional quad-core version
- Memory/storage — 512MB DDR3-800 RAM (up to 2GB in volume); 256MB flash
- Networking — 2x gigabit Ethernet ports with PoE support
- Other I/O:
- HDMI 1.4 out with audio
- 2x USB 2.0 host ports
- 3x logic level serial interfaces
- 8x GPIO
- CANBus 2.0B (1Mbps)
- Expansion — 2x mini-PCIe Gen 2 slots with USB support (1x with mSATA support, only with quad-core option)
- Other features — RTC with ext. battery backup; watchdog; voltage/temp. monitor; programmable pushbutton switch
- DC input — 8 to 60VDC
- 3W @ 25° typ. consumption
- PoE (passive) or barrel jack input
- 16W Shared Between Mini-PCIe sockets
- Reverse voltage and transient protection
- Power management with programmable board shut-down and wake-up for remote sensor applications
- Operating temperature — -40 to 85°C
- Weight — 57 g
- Dimensions — 100 x 70 x 13mm
- Operating system — Open source BSPs for OpenWRT Linux, OpenEmbedded/Yocto Linux, and Android; BSPs include U-Boot, JTAG programmer
No pricing or availability information was provided for the Ventana GW5520. More information may be found in Ventana GW5520 product page.