Aaeon announced a Linux-ready Mini-ITX motherboard based on AMD’s 2GHz G-Series APU SoC, and sporting multiple display, GbE, SATA, USB, and PCIe interfaces.
It has now been nearly a year since AMD introduced its G-Series system-on-chip, which merged the company’s CPU, GPU, and I/O hub technologies into a single chip. In that time, we’ve seen the G-Series SoC appear on 3.5-inch SBCs from Habey and Win Enterprises, on a tiny Pico-ITX SBC from SECO, and on COMs from Congatec, SECO, and MSC.
Surprisingly, despite AMD’s own G-Series SoC reference design [PDF] being implemented in Mini-ITX format, Aaeon’s “EMB-KB1” SBC is the first production-ready Mini-ITX board using the AMD G-Series SoC that we’ve seen make it into production. (DFI’s website shows KB160 and KB161 Mini-ITX boards based on G-Series SoCs, but both are currently designated “coming soon.”)
Aaeon’s EMB-KB1 Mini-ITX SBC
The 6.7 x 6.7-inch Aaeon EMB-KB1 targets applications such as industrial control, automation, medical equipment, and transportation, says the company. The board is offered with a choice of two G-Series SoCs: the 25W TDP GX-420CA part, which integrates four 2.0GHz AMD “Jaguar” CPU cores plus a 600MHz AMD Radeon HD 8400E GPU; and the 15W TDP GX-217GA, containing two 1.65GHz CPU cores along with a 450MHz HD 8280E GPU.
1st-generation AMD G-Series APU SoC block diagram
Both board versions also benefit from the G-Series SoC’s integrated I/O controller hub, which provides three PCIe channels (two x1’s and a x4) and two gigabit Ethernet interfaces, plus high-speed SATA, HD audio, and USB 2.0/3.0 ports, among other interface functions. The SBC’s pair of SODIMM sockets can be populated with up to 16GB of DDR3/DDR3L RAM.
Aaeon lists these specifications for the EMB-KB1 Mini-ITX SBC:
- Processor — AMD Embedded G-Series APU SoC:
- GX-420CA (25W TDP) — quad-core CPU @2.0GHz; AMD Radeon HD 8400E GPU @600MHz)
- GX-217GA (15W TDP) — dual-core CPU @1.65GHz; AMD Radeon HD 8280E GPU @450MHz)
- Memory — 2x 204-pin SODIMM sockets; up to 16GB total DDR3/DDR3L RAM
- Storage — 2x SATA (6.0Gb/s)
- Networking — 2x Gigabit Ethernet (RJ-45)
- LVDS, VGA, and DVI output interfaces
- Supports dual-independent displays
- Resolutions — up to 1920 x 1200 @60 Hz
- Audio — mic-in, line-out
- USB ports:
- 6x USB 2.0 ports — 4x coastline; 2x on headers and available at mini-PCIe slots
- 2x USB 3.0 coastline ports
- Other I/O:
- Serial — 5x RS-232; 1x RS-232/422/485
- 1x PS/2
- 8x GPIO lines — 4x in, 4x out
- Fan power connectors
- Other features — WDT, status monitors
- Expansion interfaces:
- Standard PCIe x4 slot
- Full-size mini-PCIe slot with PCIe, USB, and mSATA; SIM Card socket
- Half-size mini-PCIe slot, with PCIe and USB
- Operating temperature — 0 – 60°C
- Power — ATX
- Dimensions — 6.7 x 6.7 inches (170 x 170mm); Mini-ITX form-factor
- Operating system support — Linux, Windows XP, Windows 7
Aaeon did not provide pricing or delivery information. Further details are available at the company’s EMB-KB1 Mini-ITX SBC product page.