Calao claims its “SMC-NTKE1” is the first SMARC COM with a Tegra K1 SoC. The rugged module offers Linux, crypto and TPM security, and up to 64GB eMMC.
Nvidia’s quad-core Tegra K1 SoC, which features a 192-core Kepler GPU, has appeared on Linux-ready computer-on-modules including Seco’s SECOMExp-TK1 COM Express Type 6 Compact COM and the GE Intelligent Platforms mCOM10K1 COM Express Type 10 Mini module. Now, Calao Systems has launched what it claims is the first Tegra K1-based module to adopt the 82 x 50mm SMARC form-factor. Other Tegra-based SMARC modules include Kontron’s SMARC-sAT30, which used the earlier Tegra 3.
SMC-NTEK1 front (left) and back
(click images to enlarge)
The SMC-NTEK1 offers −25 to 85°C temperature support, according to the announcement, or −40 to 85°C per the datasheet. Manufactured “in a rigorous quality assurance process, by Eolane,” the module offers “a high degree of signals integrity, shock and vibration durability,” says France-based Calao. Other Linux-supported embedded boards from Calao include the PinBall SBC, which is built upon the Raspberry Pi Compute Module.
The world’s first Tegra K1-based SMARC module runs Yocto Project-based Linux, and ships with 2GB of DDR3L RAM and 8GB of eMMC flash, expandable to 64GB. The device runs on less than 10 Watts, claims Calao.
SMC-NTEK1 block diagram
(click image to enlarge)
The module is notable for offering a crypto authentication chip supporting SHA-2, AES or ECC protocols. It also supplies FIPS 140-2 trusted platform module (TPM) technology. Other novelties include the integration of a 3-axis accelerometer, as well as temperature, humidity and pressure sensors.
Specifications listed for the SMC-NTEK1 include:
- Processor — Nvidia Tegra K1 (4x Cortex-A15 cores @ up to 2.3GHz); 192-core Mobile Kepler GPU)
- 2GB DDR3L RAM
- 8GB eMMC flash, expandable to 64GB
- 8MB SPI flash
- Multimedia I/O (via 314-pin SMARC/MXM connectors):
- 2x MIPI CSI camera interfaces
- I2S and S/PDIF out audio I/O
- Networking — Gigabit Ethernet controller
- Other I/O (via 314-pin SMARC/MXM connectors):
- SATA (3Gbps)
- 2x USB 2.0 host
- USB 2.0 OTG
- 4x UART
- 12x GPIO
- 2x SPI
- 3x I2C
- PCIe x1
- Other features — 3-axis accelerometer; temperature, humidity and pressure sensors; TPM module; crypto authentication
- Power — 5VDC +/- 5%; sub-10W consumption
- Operating temperature — -25 or -40 to 85°C
- Dimensions — 82 x 50mm; SMARC form factor
- Operating system — Yocto Project-based Linux with BuildRoot
No pricing or availability information was provided for the SMC-NTEK1, which will be available globally. More information may be found in Calao’s SMC-NTEK1 product brochure [PDF].