Adlink unveiled an “LEC-iMX6” SMARC COM built around Freescale’s i.MX6, with up to 2GB soldered DDR3L and 64GB eMMC, plus -40 to 85°C temperature support.
The LEC-iMX6 is designed for portable — or just plain small — industrial automation, medical, testing and measurement, transportation, and digital signage applications. Like most embedded vendors this year, Adlink uses the IoT acronym, and here it actually seems to fit.
As with Adlink’s first SMARC computer-on-module — the TI Sitara AM3517 based LEC-3517 — the LEC-iMX6 uses the 82 x 50mm “short” version of the form-factor. However, its feature set is more similar to Adlink’s full-size LEC-BT SMARC COM, which is based on an Intel Atom E3800 system-on-chip. Not surprisingly, the LEC-iMX6 is also similar to the only other Freescale i.MX6-based SMARC module we know of — Kontron’s similarly short-sized SMARC sAMX6i COM.
(click image to enlarge)
On the LEC-iMX6, Adlink gives you a choice of all four of Freescale’s Cortex-A9 based i.MX6 models, including the Solo and Dual-Lite SoCs, which have slightly less capable Vivante GPUs than the the Dual and Quad-core versions. All the SoCs ship here with 800MHz clock rates, but can also be bought with 1.2GHz speeds.
The rugged LEC-iMX6 offers up to 2GB soldered DDR3L-1066/1333 RAM, as well as an optional eMMC module at up to 64GB that can be used as a boot device along with the available UBoot bootloader. Linux and WEC7 are standard OS options, while Android is available upon request.
LEC-iMX6 block diagram
(click image to enlarge)
The LEC-iMX6 is equipped with a gigabit Ethernet controller and offers a variety of I/O via its 314-pin MXM3 connector. Up to three independent displays are supported via HDMI1.4a, single-channel, 24-bit LVDS, and 24-bit TTL parallel interfaces. You also get MIPI CSI and parallel camera connectors.
The module features three USB 2.0 ports, two of them host ports and one OTG. There are SD/MMC and SATA storage interfaces, up to 12x GPIO, and a variety of serial and industrial interfaces including dual CAN ports. A single PCIe x1 Gen2 interface supports expansion.
Both commercial and industrial -40 to 85°C temperature options are available, as well as shock and vibration resistance. Adlink’s SEMA (Smart Embedded Management Agent) device-to-cloud remote monitoring platform is also available.
Summary of LEC-iMX6 specs
Specifications listed for the LEC-iMX6 include:
- Processor — Freescale i.MX6 Quad, Dual, Dual-Lite, or Solo (4x, 2x, 2x, or 1x Cortex-A9 cores @ 800MHz to 1.2GHz); varying levels of cache (512KB to 1MB) and 2D/3D graphics acceleration
- 512MB to 2GB soldered DDR3L-1066 RAM
- Up to 64GB optional eMMC flash
- SD/MMC interface
- SATA 3Gbps interface
- HDMI 1.4a
- LVDS (single-channel 24-bit)
- Parallel LCD (24-bit)
- 3x independent displays
- MIPI-CSI camera (2-lane)
- Parallel PCAM camera (10-bit)
- Networking — gigabit Ethernet
- Other I/O:
- 2x USB 2.0 host
- USB OTG
- 2x SPI
- 3x I2C
- 2x CAN
- 4x UART
- 12x GPIO (with interrupt)
- JTAG debug
- Expansion — PCIe x1 Gen 2
- Other features — SEMA board controller (watchdog; hardware monitoring, fan, etc.)
- Power — N/A
- Operating temperature — 0 to 60°C or -40 to 85°C
- Shock/vibration resistance — IEC 60068-2-64 and IEC-60068-2-27; MIL-STD-202F, Method 213B, Table 213-I, Condition A, and Method 214A, Table 214-I, Condition D
- HALT — Thermal and vibration stress, thermal shock, and combined
- Dimensions — 82 x 50mm; SMARC short size
- Operating system — Linux with UBoot or WEC7; Android, QNX, or VxWorks on request
No pricing or availability information was provided for the LEC-iMX6 module. More information may be found at the LEC-iMX6 product page.