Data Modul’s 3.5-inch MS-98F3 SBC can run any 4th or 5th Generation Intel Core ULT chip, and offers dual mini-PCIe, GbE, and SATA connections.
Data Modul’s MS-98F3 is the first embedded board we can recall to offer support for two different generations of Core processors. The 3.5-inch form-factor single board computer ships with a 4th Generation “Haswell” based Intel Core i3-4010U clocked at 1.7GHz, according to the product page. The press release and data sheet go on to say the SBC can handle any Haswell or 5th Gen “Broadwell” processor. The data sheet also notes the availability of a Haswell-based i5-4300U.
Assuming the SBC really does run the graphics-enhanced, 14nm fabricated 5th Gen Core, then the MS-98F3 would be the first Broadwell-ready 3.5-inch SBC to appear on LinuxGizmos. Other Haswell-ready 3.5-inch boards include Axiomtek’s recent CAPA881. Recent Data Modul SBCs, meanwhile, include the Intel Atom E3800-based, Pico-ITX form-factor eDM-pITX-BT.
Data Modul MS-98F3
(click image to enlarge)
The fanless MS-98F3 has a guaranteed 5+ years of availability, and is designed for kiosks, vending machines, and POS and ATM systems, as well as retail, medical, security and in-vehicle infotainment computers. The SBC is also available in an extended kit version with a choice of various TFT displays from AUO, Sharp, and Innolux, along with matching cable set and adapted power-on/off timing. This avoids the need for “time intensive display adjustment process,” says Munich-based Data Modul. No OS support was listed, but the board almost certainly runs Linux.
The MS-98F3 supports up to 8GB of DDR3L RAM, and offers dual SATA 3 interfaces, as well as an mSATA slot that does double duty as a full-size mini-PCIe slot. There’s also a half-size mini-PCIe slot.
MS-98F3 detail views, including coastline views with two optional display SKUs (right)
(click images to enlarge)
The SBC comes standard with an HDMI port and a 24-bit LVDS interface, but you can optionally choose to add a VGA port or DisplayPort (but not both). Dual gigabit Ethernet ports are available, along with six USB ports. These include dual USB 3.0 and dual USB 2.0 coastline ports, as well as two more internal USB 2.0 connections.
Onboard interfaces include four COM ports — one of them with RS232/422/485 support — as well as 8x GPIO lanes, HD audio, and more. The MS-98F3’s DC input can be configured to 12V, 19V, or 24V, and the temperature range is said to be -10 to 60°C.
Specifications for the MS-98F3 include:
- Processor — Intel 4th Gen or 5th Gen Core ULT; listed SKUs are:
- Core i3-4010E — dual-core 1.7GHz, 3MB cache, 15W TDP, Intel HD Graphics 4400 @ 200MHz
- Core i5-4300U — dual-core 1.9GHz (2.9GHz Turbo), 3MB cache, 15W TDP, Intel HD Graphics 4400 @ 200MHz
- Memory — Up to 8GB DDR3L-1600 via 1x SODIMM
- Storage – mSATA slot (shared with mini-PCIe); 2x SATA 3.0 interfaces
- HDMI port up to 1920 x 1080 pixels
- LVDS 24-bit dual interface up to 1920 x 1200
- Optional VGA port up to 1920 x 1200
- Optional DisplayPort up to 3200 x 2000
- Dual display support
- Kit version with optional TFT displays available
- Networking — 2x gigabit Ethernet (Intel I210-AT and I218-LM)
- Other I/O:
- RS-232/422/485 interface
- 3x RS-232 interfaces
- 2x USB 3.0 ports
- 4x USB 2.0 interfaces (includes 2x coastline ports)
- PS/2 interface
- GPIO (4x in, 4x out)
- HD audio I/O (Realtek ALC887-VD2-CG)
- Super I/O controller
- SMBus, I2C
- Expansion – 1x full-size Mini-PCIe with mSATA; 1x half-size mini-PCIe
- Power — 12V/19V/24V DC-in
- Operating temperature — -10 to 60°C
- Dimensions — 146 x 102mm; 3.5-inch form factor
No pricing or availability information was provided for the MS-98F3. More information may be found on Data Modul’s MS-98F3 product page.