Acnodes unveiled an under $500 “FES8685” computer with a dual-core Ivy Bridge CPU, plus SATA, serial, USB, GbE, HDMI, VGA, mini-PCIe, and optional WiFi.
With the FES8685, Acnodes has taken a trip down memory lane, replacing the Intel 4th Gen Core “Haswell” CPUs of the FES8680 released earlier this year with a 3rd Gen “Ivy Bridge” Celeron 1047UE. The FES8685 runs Linux or Windows on the dual-core, 1.4GHz chip, which runs at a TDP of 17W. As a result, the computer is sold for about $175 less, at just $496 with 2GB of RAM.
(click image to enlarge)
The 10.39 x 7.85 x 1.5-inch FES8685 is designed for outdoor advertising, POS/kiosk, transportation, surveillance, and industrial control automation, says Acnodes. The temperature range is a fairly limited 0 to 40°C, but there’s a wide range power supply and a rugged aluminum enclosure designed to keep out dust.
You can load up to 16GB of RAM on the fanless system, and add a SATA 3.0 drive for the 2.5-inch bay. There’s also a mSATA connection shared with a mini-PCI Express slot, which also appears to be the conduit for the optional WiFi and Bluetooth module.
FES8685 front (left) and back panel detail
(click images to enlarge)
The FES8685 downgrades from DVI-I to VGA, and there’s only one gigabit Ethernet port instead of the two GbE ports found on the FES8680. There are seven USB 2.0 ports split between both panels, as well as four COM ports , including two with RS232/422/485 support. Audio jacks are also available.
Specifications listed for the FES8685 include:
- Processor — Intel 3rd Gen Core Celeron 1047UE (2x Ivy Bridge cores @ 1.4GHz); 2MB cache, 17W TDP
- Memory — 2GB DDR3 1600MHz expandable to 16GB via 2x SODIMMs
- SATA 3 with 2.5-inch bay
- mSATA interface shared with mini-PCIe
- Display – HDMI; VGA
- Wireless — Optional WiFi 802.11b/g/n and Bluetooth 4.0 module (via mini-PCIe) with 2x antenna holes
- Networking — Gigabit Ethernet port
- Other I/O:
- 7x USB 2.0 ports
- 2x RS232 ports
- 2x RS232/422/485 ports
- Audio mic-in, line-in, line-out
- Expansion – Mini-PCIe shared with mSATA
- Other features — Watchdog; optional wall and DIN-rail mounting
- Power — 9-24 DC input; 120V AC 60W adapter
- Operating temperature — 0 to 40°C
- Dimensions — 10.39 x 7.85 x 1.5 in.
- Operating system — Linux; Windows 7/8
The FES8685 appears to be available now starting at $496. More information may be found at the Acnodes FES8685 product page.