JEHE’s Linux-ready “Giada MG-5200SL” Thin Mini-ITX SBC targets Ultra-HD resolution signage with a dual-core 5th Gen. Core CPU, SATA, mSATA, and mini-PCIe.
The MG-5200SL adds to the high-end range of 170 x 170mm Mini-ITX boards sold under the Giada brand from JEHE (Jiehe Technology Development Co.) of Shenzhen, China. This is a “Thin” Mini-ITX board with only one gigabit Ethernet port, as well as USB and serial coastline ports stacked only two high. However, the “smart” fan required to cool the dual-core, up to 2.7GHz, Core i5-5200U CPU from Intel’s latest, 14nm 5th Gen. “Broadwell” family, appears to exceed the coastline height.
MG-5200SL, front and back
(click images to enlarge)
The fan also cools a discrete Nvidia GeForce GT730 GPU, which helps deliver the to 3840 × 2160-pixel Ultra HD resolution. Dual displays are supported via HDMI and DVI ports as well as internal VGA and LVDS interfaces. The product page mentions only Windows, but the announcement also claims Linux support.
No operating temperature range was listed for the MG-5200SL, which targets digital signage, as well as industrial control/automation, security surveillance, financial and public commuting displays, visual inspection instruments, and other “performance driven high end video applications.” Like JEHE’s Haswell-based Giada i200 mini-PC, the MG-5200SL supplies JEHE’s own patented JAHC technology for protection against unscheduled power-offs. JAHC provides signage-friendly features like automatic power-on, automatic restarts in case of a crash, and scheduled power on and off.
More views of the MG-5200SL
(click images to enlarge)
You can load up to 16GB of RAM onto the MG-5200SL, which offers a typical Mini-ITX mix of features including four coastline USB ports, dual COM ports, plus SATA, mSATA, and mini-PCIe connections. Audio jacks and GPIO are also available.
Specifications listed for the MG-5200SL include:
- Processor — Intel 5th Gen. Core i5-5200U (2x 14nm “Broadwell” cores @ 2.2GHz to 2.7GHz); 15W TDP; Nvidia GeForce GT730 discrete GPU
- Memory — up to 16GB DDR3L 1333/1600MHz RAM, via 2x SODIMMs
- Storage — 2x SATA 3.0 interfaces (6Gbps), mSATA shared with mini-PCIe
- Display (up to 3840 × 2160):
- HDMI port
- DVI/VGA port
- VGA interface
- 24-bit dual-channel LVDS interface
- Networking — Gigabit Ethernet port (Realtek 8111E )
- Other I/O:
- 2x USB 3.0 ports
- 2x USB 2.0 ports
- 2x USB 2.0 int. connectors for 4x ports
- 2x COM ports
- Audio line-in, line-out, mic-in jacks (6-ch. ALC662-VDO)
- 2x amplified audio interfaces
- Expansion — 2x full-size mini-PCIe slots (1x shared with mSATA, 1x with PCIe, USB, 3G support)
- Other features — Fan; brass heat pipe for heat dissipation; JAHC automation firmware
- Power — DC-in 12~19V (4-pin ATX)
- Dimensions — 170 x 170mm (Thin Mini-ITX)
- Operating system — Linux; Windows 7/8.1