Variscite released a tiny “VAR-SOM-DUAL” module starting at $46 that runs Android or Linux on a Freescale i.MX6 Dual, and offers onboard WiFi and Bluetooth.
Last November, Variscite announced a smaller version of its VAR-SOM-MX6_V2 computer-on-module called the VAR-SOM-SOLO. Whereas the VAR-SOM-MX6_V2 supports the full range of Freescale’s Cortex-A9 based i.MX6 system-on-chips, including the quad-core version, the similarly SODIMM-interfaced VAR-SOM-SOLO is limited to the single-core, i.MX6 Solo. Now Variscite has released a version that supports the 1GHz, dual-core i.MX6 Dual SoC.
VAR-SOM-DUAL, front and back
(click images to enlarge)
The VAR-SOM-DUAL is essentially the same 68 x 33mm COM as the VAR-SOM-SOLO, with identical features and a shared VAR-SOM-SOLO/DUAL product page, data sheet, and (see photos above) PCB fab. Standout features include the COM’s up to 1GB of DDR3 RAM, 512MB SLC NAND, and up to 64GB eMMC flash. You also get a gigabit Ethernet PHY, built-in WiFi and Bluetooth 4.0.
The module supports a wide range of industrial and multimedia interfaces, including MIPI CSI. There’s also support for extended and industrial temperature ranges, as wide as -40 to 85°C.
Block diagrams: VAR-SOM-DUAL COM (left) and Freescale i.MX6 Dual SoC
(click image to enlarge)
Full details on the module, which runs Yocto and Ubuntu Linux, as well as Android, are below. More information on differences with the pin-compatible VAR-SOM-MX6_V2, as well as coverage of the optional CustomBoard carrier shared by all three COMs, may be found in our previous VAR-SOM-SOLO story.
Specifications listed for the VAR-SOM-DUAL include:
- Processor — Freescale i.MX6 Dual (2x Cortex-A9 core @ 1.0GHz) Vivante GPU with 2D/3D graphics acceleration
- 256MB to 1GB DDR3 RAM
- 128MB to 512MB NAND flash
- 4GB to 64GB eMMC flash
- HDMI 1.4 (1920 x 1080)
- 2x 24-bit LVDS (1920 x 1080)
- 1x MIPI DSI (24-bit, 1920 x 1200)
- 4-wire resistive touch support
- Wireless — TI WiLink8 module with 802.11a/b/g/n 2.4/5GHz (with optional MIMO) and Bluetooth 4.0
- Networking — gigabit Ethernet PHY
- Other I/O:
- 2x USB 2.0 (1x host, 1x OTG)
- Audio — line-in, line out, digital mic-in; S/PDIF
- Camera — CSI; CPI
- 3x UART (up to 3.6Mbps)
- 2x I2C
- 2x SPI
- 2x CAN bus
- Expansion — PCIe Gen2 interface
- Operating temperature — 0 to 70°C, -20 to 70°C, or -40 to 85°C
- Power — 3.3V DC
- Dimensions — 68 x 33 x 4mm; uses SO-DIMM edge connector
- Operating system — Yocto and Ubuntu Linux; Android 4.4; WEC 7 & 2013
The VAR-SOM-DUAL is available now starting at $46. More information may be found at Variscite’s VAR-SOM-SOLO/DUAL product page.