Axiomtek’s “CEM846” is a Linux-ready COM Express Type 10 Mini module with a choice of Atom E3800 SoCs, -40 to 85°C support, and wide-range power.
Last April, Axiomtek launched a trio of Intel Bay Trail COM Express modules, including a CEM841 Type 2 Basic (125 x 95mm) COM, as well as CEM842 and CEM843 Type 6 Compact (95 x 95mm) modules. Now the company has unveiled a smaller, 84 x 55mm CEM846 COM Express Type 10 Mini module, running the Bay Trail Intel Atom E3800. Like the CEM843, it offers industrial -40 to 85°C support, in this case as a standard feature.
COM Express form-factors compared, left to right: Mini (CEM846), Compact (CM842), and Basic (CEM841)
(click images to enlarge)
The CEM846 more directly updates or augments a CEM840 COM Express Type 10 Mini module that escaped our attention when it launched in Nov. 2014. The modules appear to be identical, including standard -40 to 85°C and wide-range (4.75V to 20V) power support. However, the new CEM846 adds a pair of COM ports.
CEM846, front and back
(click images to enlarge)
Specs for the CEM846 are also quite similar to the larger COM Express Type 6 and Type 2 modules noted above. The main exception is the CEM846’s lack of a VGA port, half the maximum RAM at 4GB, and two fewer PCIe interfaces compared to the six-slot CEM842 and CEM843.
Applications for the CEM846 are said to include IoT, medical, transportation, security, military, and portable devices. The module offers a generic Linux Kernel 3.13.0-32-generic x86_64 that supports “any popular Linux OS, such as Ubuntu, Red Hat, etc.,” says Axiomtek.
Specifications listed for the Axiomtek CEM846 include:
- Processor — Intel Atom E3800 Bay Trail (quad-core, 1.91GHz Atom E3845, dual-core, 1.75GHz Atom E3827, or single-core, 1.46GHz Atom E3815); Intel Gen 7 HD graphics
- Memory — 2GB or 4GB DDR3L RAM
- LVDS 18/24-bit single-channel
- DDI (DP, HDMI, DVI)
- Dual display support at up to 4K
- Networking — Gigabit Ethernet controller (Intel I210AT) with Wake-on-LAN, PXE boot
- Other I/O:
- 8x USB 2.0
- 1x USB 3.0
- 2x SATA-300
- 2x serial TX/RX
- LPC, SMBus
- DIO (4x in, 4x out)
- HD audio
- Expansion — 4x PCIe x1 (3x when LAN is connected)
- Other features — Watchdog; hardware monitoring; optional heatspreader, heatsink, ATX baseboard
- Power — 4.75V to 20V or ATX 4.75V to 20V/+5VSB
- Operating temperature — -40 to 85°C
- Dimensions — 84 x 55mm COM Express Compact Type 10 Mini
- Operating system — Linux Kernel 3.13.0-32-generic x86_64, supporting major Linux distros; Windows
The CEM846 module will be available soon, says Axiomtek. More information may be found at Axiomtek’s CEM846 product page.