Gateworks unveiled a tiny, UAV-oriented SBC that runs Linux or Android on an i.MX6 SoC, and offers HDMI in/out, USB, serial, GPIO, CAN, mini-PCIe, and more.
Like other Gateworks Ventana boards, such as the recent Ventana GW5200, the tiny “Ventana GW5510” runs Linux or Android on a Cortex-A9-based Freescale i.MX6 SoC clocked to 800MHz, and offers a wide-range power supply and -40 to 85°C temperature support. Other Ventana-like features include a programmable pushbutton switch, as well as programmable board shut-down and wake-up for remote sensor applications.
Ventana GW5510 SBC
(click image to enlarge)
The GW5510 supports only the single-core Solo version of the i.MX6, which enables a claimed 2W operating consumption at commercial temperatures. The board ships with 512MB DDR3-800 RAM and 256MB flash, but there’s no microSD slot. The detail view below lists DDR2 RAM, but this appears to be an error, as other mentions note DDR3, which is typically used with the i.MX6.
Ventana GW5510 block diagram
(click image to enlarge)
The Ventana GW5510 is notable for its small 70 x 35mm size and low 28-gram weight, as well as the availability of an HDMI input, which sits next to the usual HDMI output port. The only application mentioned for the board was for UAVs (drones). However, the dual HDMI configuration would appear to support other low-cost remote video surveillance applications, as well as a variety of other video and audio projects.
GW5510 detail views, front and back
(click images to enlarge)
The HDMI ports are the only real-world ports on the coastline except for a power input. There is, however, a mini-PCIe slot with USB support located on the bottom of the device for WiFi, cellular, or storage expansion. A separate application connector supports CAN, I2C, USB OTG, PWM, and reset I/O. The application connector can also be used to power the board, which can run on a battery.
Specifications listed for the Ventana GW5510 SBC include:
- Processor — Freescale i.MX6 Solo (1x Cortex-A9 core @ 800MHz); Vivante GPU
- Memory/storage — 512MB DDR3-800 RAM; 256MB flash
- HDMI 1.4 out with audio
- HDMI 1.4 in with audio and 1080p30 video support
- Other I/O (via expansion connector) — CAN, I2C, USB OTG, PWM, reset
- Expansion — mini-PCIe Gen 2 slot with USB support
- Other features — RTC with ext. battery backup; watchdog; voltage/temp. monitor; programmable pushbutton switch
- DC input — 8 to 60VDC
- 2W consumption (typical at 25°C)
- Reverse voltage protection
- Power management with programmable board shut-down and wake-up for remote sensor applications
- Operating temperature — -40 to 85°C
- Weight — 28 g
- Dimensions — 70 x 35 x 13mm
- Operating system — Open source BSPs for OpenWRT Linux, OpenEmbedded/Yocto Linux, and Android
The Ventana GW5510 appears to be available now at an unstated price. More information may be found at the Gateworks Ventana GW5510 product page.